×
menu

Here you'll find the results from the times that I stared at an IDE for hours on end to make cool stuff happen on screen

Fun fact - I am bilingual. I speak English and uncommented, gaffer-taped, stupid code


I started off life as a performing musician, but after realising there is little appeal for myself in living in cramped, dark vans, getting hand cramp from guitar and eating kettle-centric ramen noodles, I started dabbling in code, where I work in a cramped, dark room, getting hand cramp from typing and drinking kettle-centric Yorkshire tea. Life has its ways.

Worlds from Words was my first attempt at building VR environments in Unity using the Oculus Quest framework. The result of an MSc module, Worlds from Words was a project based on a series of interviews conducted by The People's Republic of Stokes Croft with members of Brisol's homeless community. I made a dark and gloomy navigatable cityscape for a player to explore. Throughout their journey, they could find collectable orbs that played recordings outlining each story.

Figure - a photograph of a person with short hair in a longsleeved jumper. They are using an Oculus Quest in a computer laboratory at UWE Bristol
                    There is a Mac Desktop in the background with the words CT Toolkit - VR in Unity. MSc Creative Technology at UWE. Video 2 on the screen.
Figure - a photograph of a person with short hair in a longsleeved jumper. They are using an Oculus Quest in a computer laboratory at UWE Bristol There is a Mac Desktop in the background with the words "CT Toolkit - VR in Unity. MSc Creative Technology at UWE. Video 2" on the screen.

My first ever Hackathon!!! I, Mr Luke ' xCosmicLizard' Child, completed it with the ever fantastic Mr Matty 'lonewolfgfx123' McDonald and Mr Oscar 'Tymscar' Molnar. We designed an autobattler rooted in the Majestic API that created two characters using information gathered from datascraping a user-inputted website. I was lead for graphics and audio design and implementation, setting up a small recording booth, with a Shure SM58 into a UA-25 and Cubase 5, underneath a table and hanging blankets around the edge. I also then aided in implementing the audio into the game using UnityAudio and C#.

This project WON the Majestic Developer Sponsor Prize for Data Visualisation.

The main splash logo for our project The Web Wars. Featured is a muscluar humanoid torso with blue trousers and black shoes in a pixel art style.
                            The head of the torso is a square that can feature a website favicon, though is showing it's default state of a black box with 'https://www' on it. There is text at the bottom of the image saying
                        'The Web Wars' and it is stylised in a gothic, spiky typeface
Figure - The main splash logo for our project The Web Wars. Featured is a muscluar humanoid torso with blue trousers and black shoes in a pixel art style. The head of the torso is a square that can feature a website favicon, though is showing it's default state of a black box with 'https://www' on it. There is text at the bottom of the image saying 'The Web Wars' and it is stylised in a gothic, spiky typeface.
Figure - a screenshot from the game The Web Wars. Featured are two muscular humanoid characters in a pixelated art style with website favicons for heads (one is Reddit, one is Facebook).
                            Both characters are mid-jump toward each other. There are two healthbars representing each character's current health. The background is a distorted image of a server room.
Figure - a screenshot from the game The Web Wars. Featured are two muscular humanoid characters in a pixelated art style with website favicons for heads (one is Reddit, one is Facebook). Both characters are mid-jump toward each other. There are two healthbars representing each character's current health. The background is a distorted image of a server room.

HackTheMidlands 2019 saw me and fellow MSc coursemate Mr Jack Rose working on a basic evolutionary simulator where cats and dogs roam wild on an island. I was responsible for UI design, graphics, audio and camera programming. The project was made in Unity using C#. We had to leave this project short as myself and Jack were travelling back to Bristol and there were flood warnings in place for later in the final day that would restrict our travel. We learned a bunch about rapid prototyping, neural nets for evolution simulation and how to make Unity Cinemachine do cool things!

Figure - a screenshot from within the simulator Reigning Cats and Dogs. Pictured is a grassy meadow with a cat roaming in it. In the background is a tree and a clear blue sky. There is a close-focus blur in effect.
Figure - a screenshot from within the simulator Reigning Cats and Dogs. Pictured is a grassy meadow with a cat roaming in it. In the background is a tree and a clear blue sky. There is a close-focus blur in effect.